Wednesday, June 10, 2009

11 Thankful Years

It was 11 years ago today that my dad, while not feeling well walking in the heat of San Antonio, decided to go splash some water on his face at a friend's nearby office, rather than go back to his car to sit in the AC until he felt better.

He didn't know that he was having a heart attack, but that friend's office happened to be a doctor's office, connected underground to Santa Rosa Hospital. Thanks to that fortunate set of events they were able to get him treated quickly and we are now at 11 great years that we have enjoyed since that day.

In celebration of the anniversary, I have written, in no specific order, my list of 11 of my favorite things that my dad, with us, has experienced over these 11 thankful years:

- Living in San Diego.
- Visiting his boot camp location (the old NTC in SD) with Brian & me, when it still looked much like it did in 1958.
- Meeting my wife Kelly and attending our wedding.
- Meeting all of the San Diego friends, the fun times and great stories.
- Going with me aboard his old aircraft carrier (the Constellation) ~ 45 yrs later after he first joined the ship (thanks Nevdog).
- Meeting my brother's wife Laura.
- Seeing UT Football win the National Championship in an amazing comeback.
- All of our Friday lunches -- first at Mimmo's and many more at Tio Leo's.
- Going back to Austin with my brother Brian and I to the UT campus & a football game.
- Meeting Bella and getting quality dogsitting time with her.
- Looking forward to meeting our baby later this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment