Friday, November 11, 2011

Going Cold Turkey

For about the past month Wyatt has been REALLY attached to his pacifier. I decided to snip the ends of some of his pacifiers so he wouldn't find it satisfying to suck anymore. That worked for a few days except I made the mistake of keeping a couple of "good" ones for nap and bedtime. Of course he knew these were around and insisted on them all the time, it was getting hard to hide them. And since I decided to try this little maneuver, once he found a functional one, he would absolutely not let it go, so much so that he developed a sore on his lips. Both Kevin and I thought it was getting out of hand. Yesterday we went cold turkey. After consulting with Kim and of course the Internet, yesterday, I dunked each pacifier in hot sauce and set them out. Immediately upon putting one in his mouth he said "yucky" and wanted to throw it in the trash. This went on through all the pacifiers and he threw them all out. I showed him I was taking out the trash and the "yuckys" were gone. Yesterday was a really rough day especially at nap time and bedtime, I had to keep reminding him he threw them away. Today has been a bit easier so far, my hope is by the end of the week, our house will be pacifier free!

1 comment: